Wednesday, November 17, 2004

From Dusk to Dust Cover

When the organizers of the Los Angeles Children's Bookfest found out, three days before the festival, that The Hebrew Kid and the Apache Maiden was available, they were so anxious to have the book present that they graciously shuffled schedules and made room for me to attend and sign my book. As I spoke with the organizers over the phone, it suddenly occurred to me that the address of the Bookfest was eerily familiar: 6150 Mount Sinai Drive, Simi Valley.
"Excuse me," I say, "but isn't that the Mt. Sinai cemetery?"
"Yes, it is. But no one can see the cemetery. The fair takes place down below, in tents. Does it bother you?"
"No, no," I mutter, barely able to contain myself, "it's fine."
And so, Karen and I drive to the Jewish Children's Bookfest where The Hebrew Kid and the Apache Maiden will make its very first public appearance.
We drive past the Bookfest tents and follow the winding road into the cemetery. We get out of the car and approach Ariel's grave. We say Tehillim. We cry. We look down at the bookfair, one hundred yards from Ariel's resting place.
I sign and sell about thirty copies of my book. Karen laughs and says: "I've never sold anything before in my life. Now look at me. I'm like this insane Willy Loman." We decide that some long dormant "hawking gene" has abruptly risen to life. Anyone who gets within ten feet of our table is fair game. I find myself talking up a meek seven-year-old girl before I get hold of myself and gently tell her to get her mommy.
After the fair, Karen and I climb once again to Ariel's grave. The sun sets and long shadows fall across the valley. It is no accident that the The Hebrew Kid and the Apache Maiden has made its debut here. As Karen said a few days ago, Ariel is looking out for us, watching over the creation of this book -- a book written for him in his last days. Ariel's physical presence is gone, but his essence, his intelligence, wit and kindness are as tangible as ever. Absence has become presence, and this day brings him closer to our wounded hearts. And for this we are eternally grateful.

Karen adds: The day at the fair turned out to be a day with Ariel. We have always gone to the cemetery in the early morning when the sun is just coming up over the eastward hills. I have seen the terrain of the Simi Valley with specific shadows, the land accepting the sun's light on landmarked peaks. Having spent an entire day at the site, I returned in the late afternoon. It struck me: I have spent every moment of the day with Ariel when he was alive, but since he died, time with Ariel has been relegated to a certain slice of the day. The light is different now, the hills are darkening. I feel neglectful, I should be here all day with my son, every day, every moment. But I have to leave. I tell Robert it reminds me of the times in the hospital when I literally put Ariel to bed, making sure he had all his night time needs in place, and almost stealthily snuck out of the room when he finally fell asleep so I could grab some hours of rest. I feel guilty, but I leave the cemetery.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of my doubts have suddenly disappeared! Bringing
you both to this site to sell the first book in memory of Ariel is definitely an act of HASHEM!
T.P.

November 19, 2004 at 6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you not concerned that Luke Ford is linking his name directly with yours by endorsing your book at Amazon and B&N and calling you his friend? This can't be the kind of PR connection you want for a) a Jewish book and b) a Jewish children's book.

November 19, 2004 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Daphna said...

I received a $50 Amazon gift certificate for my birthday and decided to save it so I could buy your book (since I do not know when it will be available her in J'lem). I just went onto Amazon to buy it...and it wasn't there! I hope that this means that they have sold out.

November 20, 2004 at 3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has to be a sign from Above!

November 23, 2004 at 3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic Book! I actual read it cover to cover without being able to put it down.
One comment: Nothing would have been hurt if the ketual confession chapter was removed along with the any references to raping and kissing were left out.

November 24, 2004 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Tell your Secret

October 8, 2005 at 3:03 AM  
Blogger Jim Naka said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my animal toy related site. It pretty much covers animal toy stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

October 9, 2005 at 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to be suggested this website by means of my cousin.
I am not certain whether or not this publish
is written by means of him as nobody else understand such unique approximately my difficulty.
You're amazing! Thank you!

Review my web site - http://torontowinetasting.com/

March 22, 2013 at 5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe this is one of the so much vital info for me.
And i am glad reading your article. However should observation on
few general things, The web site taste is wonderful, the articles is truly
great : D. Just right job, cheers

Here is my page; Http://Sinutechnologies.Com/Site-Pages/Wiki/Index.Php?Title=Bicycle_Clothing_Women

April 22, 2013 at 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right away I am going away to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming over again to read more news.


Feel free to visit my web-site http://wiki.techauthority.net

May 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>